Monday, April 29, 2013

Fast Food, anyone?!

Wow sounds like everything is going good back home! I love hearing from everyone!  Good job Trey and Tag in baseball!! Good job Devin in soccer!!  I miss watching you guys play!! I am so glad that you guys finally received my letter!!  I was starting to think that it never got sent.  The post office is so far away from where we live that it is basically impossibe to ride our bikes to it so I gave it to the zone leaders to take into Kingston one day cuz they had a meeting and they said that they would send it, and then they said they gave it to the office elders to send it and the office elders are kind of natorius for loosing stuff I heard but I'm glad you got it.  I was pretty homesick the first couple of days but it's getting better.  Just so many changes happened overnight but i'm getting used to Jamaican Life.  So the $100 bill I sent home is worth + or - a couple cents but it's about $1 US.  Groceries per week are about just over 3 grand.  We use the other 2 grand per week for snacks throughout the day or food when we have zone meetings or district meetings we always go grab cook shop afterwards.  Cookshops are everywhere here.Every block there is a cook shop, all they sell that I eat is fried chicken and rice and peas.  You can get cow foot, cow skin, tripe, ox tail, chicken feet etc but I don't like those.  I have eatin cow foot, cow skin, tripe, and some other stuff and it is so gross.  There are also jerk centers everywhere as well.  We don't go there as often because it is more expensive for alot less food.  There are also wholesales everywhere as well.  Wholesales are places that you can stop and buy almost anything that you could get at a grocery store.  We usually stop there to get bun & cheese.  Bun is a spice cake that is in the shape of like a big muffin and they cut it in half and put a big thick slice of cheese in the middle and you eat it.  It is like everyones favorite snack here, I actually really like it too, it's good.  So those three things are just everywhere, all of them are just complete makeshift buildings that they sell stuff out of too.  It is also Mango season here, I actually think it is just always mango season here but anyways I eat a couple mangos everyday, just at member houses or investigators houses you can just pick one or two and start eating them.  You can even do it just walking down the road.  I have also had some coconuts at peoples houses, they grow everywhere too.  People have cherry trees that you can pick cherries off of, just so much good fruit all the time.
I did get the pictures you sent me, thank you so much for them!  I got them about 12 days ago.  A couple were duplicates but thank you for the duplicates cuz I tape them on my planners to decorate them up.  I can't wait to get more.  I also met this die hard Utah Jazz fan a couple weeks ago, he kept me up to date on what was going on.  I met him the day that he said the Jazz were playing the Grizzlies in a do or die game for the playoffs and they lost.  Bummer.  It was funny tho because no one out here really knows American sports so the first person that I met that does love American sports liked the Jazz, crazy.  I think he was more of a Karl Malone fan then Jazz but he we still chatted for a while.
So this week was a good week for missionary work.  We had to drop some people that we have been teaching since they arne't progressing so for a day or 2 our teaching pool was really small but we have found some really cool people that we are teaching.  I also think I told you about IC.  He is a convert that got baptized about 3 years ago and he hasnt been to church in over a year.  We re activated him and the first week back at church the branch president called him in his office and they started filling out mission papers,  His papers are almost all the way done now and he is so pumped to get his call.  He comes teaching with us and is just a stud.  One of his childhood friends that he hasn't seen in years just got baptized a couple months ago and so they had a cool little reunion, JD, the childhood friend also got to ordain I.C. to a priest and that was pretty cool. There are some really cool members here.  One of them is Sis Mac!  She takes care of the missionaries really good.  Her whole family is members and they are so great.  She has us over for dinner every sunday.  You should e-mail her, mom, and say hi.
Well it sounds like everyone is doing good, I love getting the letters you guys send me and the pictures as well, keep it up.  How's the firnds and cousins doiung on their missions?  I read Cody H and Brian M letters but what about the other ones? (I am sending him all the missionary letters that I have access to, but I know he would love to hear about Cody E, Landon, and Adam Kia.)Tell Grandma and Grandpa Ebmeyer and Harris thanks for the letters as well.  I love and miss you all, have a good week.
Love, Elder Colton Harris

PS:  As of about 2 weeks ago I lost about almost 20 pounds from what I was in the MTC and I bet I have lost more since then.  Just thought I would let you know.
 
Colton's companion, Elder Wright, and the zone leaders who they live with
His planner that he mentioned above

No comments:

Post a Comment