Monday, March 3, 2014

One year down!

Well another week has passed, and with it the first year of my mission!  1 down, I can't believe it! We celebrated pretty good! 4 out of the 5 elders that were in my MTC group are in my district so of course we had to get together.  We all met up at Tracks and Records. I have been there before, it is the Usaine Bolt owned restaurant (hense the awesome name) that is right next to our church here.  It was good to get all together.  We splurged big time.  We all got 2 meals cuz they serve more than just chicken and rice there so we couldn't pass it up!! I got a jerked chicken quesadilla and some southwest pizza somethin and it was glorious! After that we went to this ice cream place me and my comp bought a 3 gallon thing of ice cream.  We don't get dessert out here, like it just doesn't happen so we took matters into our own hands.  Elder Stewart said that it would last us a month, and I thought it would too cuz it was a lot of ice cream, but we bought it on Thursday and it is Monday, and it is almost gone. Whoops. I also burnt a pair of pants for my year mark.  You are supposed to burn a shirt, but true I didn't have a shirt to give up at this time so I burnt some old pants.
Anyways, teaching was really slow at the beginning of the week.  We are trying to find some new people to start working with, but it hasn't been going so well.  But yesterday at church like 3 awesome people showed up.  One was someone that we have been trying to visit but he has been busy a lot, didn't expect him to show up tho.  Another one was invited by missionaries like 6 months ago and promised them he would show up and didn't have time to come until yesterday, and another one came with their friend who is a member. All of them loved church, it was a good day.
So another cool story.  So Elder Stewart when he came out on his mission came out with a brand new pair of Oaklies.  Well they fell out of his bag like 4 months ago and he hasn't seen them since.  So we were sitting this little restaurant after we ordered some food, and Elder Stewart was like remember the glasses that I told you about, those are them. And he points to some guy wearing them.  I was like do you want them back? He is like no.  He said that cuz we aren't allowed to wear sunglasses anymore in our mission. Apparently they make us look like CIA, so they got banned.  And not wearing sunglasses makes us not look like CIA in Jamaicans eyes or something like that.  Anyways I called him over and I was like hey where did you get those? He was like America. I said yeah, or the side of the road? He then yelled AMERICA, give me $2,000 and you can have them!  I said I'll give ya $1,000 for them. He was like ok.  $1,000 is less then US$10.  So I bought $200 glasses for $10, and the guy still thought he made off like a bandit cuz now he can go buy 3 pairs of fake ray-bands with that money! The story was a lot cooler if you were there in person lol. Elder Stewart was amazed cuz he didn't think I could get them so easily, so i gave them back to him, after we disinfected them!
So a cool side note to that story, Elder Wilkerson was telling me something that his friend wrote him. He said that Elder Oaks showed his mission president a powerpoint of all the countries, and dots showed up on most of them. He said those dots are countries that have had missionaries there in person teaching lessons, then he showed a next slide, and all of the countries had dots on them.  He said this is showing how many countries have had missionary lessons taught over the internet, Skype or other social media like Facebook.  The gospel has and is being taught over the internet in ever single country in the world right now.  It brings a new insight into the phrase teaching all nations, kindreds, and tongues.. it is now happening and it is awesome to be apart of it!
Well have a great week! Love you guys! 
Burning pants to commemorate One year mark!

Elder Harris and Elder Stewart

Duck Dynasty Wall

Track and Records Lunch

 

No comments:

Post a Comment