Monday, April 14, 2014

"Zion and her stakes will be established"...in Jamaica!

So another week is down! I will start off with the news that the Spanish Town district of the Jamaica Kingston Mission has officially been approved to become a Stake of Zion! The first stake conference to ever be held in Jamaica will be on the 7th and 8th of June! That is really exciting! It has been unofficial for many months, so it was really cool when it was announced. That also means that an apostle will be visiting us that weekend! It was announced yesterday in church, and before church during my studies I was reading 3 Nephi 22:1-2. It talks about how in the latter days, zion and her stakes will be established. It explains Jamaica perfectly right now I think. It says "sing, O barren, thou that dids't not bear." Jamaica has been "barren' way too long, or not producing too much in a gospel sense. There is the same amount of members right now as there was 10 years ago. People are constantly being baptized, but the membership stays the same because so many people move overseas for jobs and such. So yeah, pretty barren. It explains how, "more are the children of the desolate (non-members) than the children of the married wife (members)". That is true, members are outnumbered here big time! 2.5 million non-members to 5,500 members in Jamaica. So it is time to "Enlarge the place of our tent (where we worship, done through missionary work/ work of salvation to get more people) and stretch forth the curtains (back overflow section; my interpretation of that lol :), spare not! (hold back nothing to accomplish this!) and strengthen thy stakes!" I really like those 2 verses! It was also really cool that I read them just hours before the announcement was made! It is long awaited news, but it will be such a great blessing here!
Work is going great! We got S. a baptism date for the 10th of May! She is learning so much, and so many things are being made clear to her. We met with her on Saturday and invited her to pray about the Book of Mormon. Yesterday at church I asked her if she was able to do that. She looks at me and says, "I did this morning and the feelings I got were EXACTLY how you said I would feel!!" Man that made my heart happy. The Holy Ghost is real, the work is true! Elder Jackson is doing great as well! Because I just started training, I know that I will be in this branch when the stake is formed. It is a huge milestone,but there is still a lot of work to do! Have a great week everyone! Love you!
Love Elder Harris
 
PS Happy Easter!
 
Pic 1 fixin bikes!
Pic 2 Sunset in Kingston!
Pic 3 Sick speaker set up! This is one of 2, they put another one opposite so they face each other so it is complete surround sound! Imma build these into a wall in my house when I get rich. These are all over the place here, Jamaicans love their loud music!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment